Most of them not understand about difference between Linux and Microsoft
There are lots to say about the history of linux but it goes for a long so just have a look at of overview.
History of Linux
- In 1993 Linux was introduced by Linus Torvalds, a student in Finland. Who post to the comp.os.minix newsgroup with the words:
"Hello everybody out there using minix -
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones."
- Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, chose Larry Ewing's design simply because he likes penguins. It is said that the name Tux was the winning entry in the 'Let's Name The Penguin While Linus Is Away Contest' with the 'T' standing for Torvalds and the 'U' and 'X' for Linux.
- Torvalds announced in 1996 that there would be a mascot for Linux, a penguin
- Alan Cox - Has made major contributions in coding the Linux Kernel.
- It is Open Source
- The largest part of the work on Linux is performed by the community: the thousands of programmers around the world that use Linux and send their suggested improvements to the maintainers.
- Then some of the organization came forward to improvize the standard of Linux and the first one is Red Hat Linux introduced on 1994
- KDE(K DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT) is started to be developed by Matthias Ettrich
- Now there are lots of organization like Fedora,Ubuntu,SUSE,Debi, released Linux by modifying little structure and adding new features
To view Full history